We began our walk along Victoria Embankment by the Thames. The first thing I saw when coming off the tube was Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament. And across the Thames I could see the London Eye. I learned that originally the London Eye was just built to celebrate the millennium, but it became so popular and iconic that they decided to keep it permanently.
My two favorite parts of the walk were at the very end: St James Park and Buckingham Palace. When we came to St James Park we actually took a detour from the walk so that we could explore the park a little bit. I love that there are such nice parks in the city. It gives people a chance to escape the hustle and bustle that comes with living in one of the world’s major cities. We finally made it to Buckingham Palace. That was exciting because it is something so iconic. Buckingham Palace was built for the Duke of Buckingham in 1703. It was purchased by George III in 1702, but Victoria was the first monarch to live here on a permanent basis. Now, the palace is the official London residence of the Queen.


I really enjoyed this walk. I was able to see some of the major tourist sites of London, as well as the administrative center of the city. I was also able to learn a lot about the places and buildings I was seeing, which made them mean a lot more to me.

No comments:
Post a Comment